Archive for February, 2009
There’s a dramatic change that the IT industry is partway through that will continue to move the landscape and swing the pendulum back to centralized IT services yet still provide local access to data for larger locations. This change is being talked about and portions are being implemented, but, we need to step it up! Think about what the best situation might be when you’ve got large and small locations across the globe all needing access to the same applications, data, and services. Historically, companies have had IT departments deliver this in many different, and sometimes bizarre ways.
Companies today handle this by leveraging telco solutions & WAN infrastructures, replicated environments, clusters of servers, etc. Very expensive, tough to maintain, and ultimately fragile in their ability to provide consistency to the buisnesses. The interesting thing has been that legacy equipment has really hampered the ability to deliver to this diverse corporate need. Wouldn’t it be better to be able to serve each location as if it was at the same location as the data center? Not just for one application but for all the applications that each location and department needs. And remote sales offices, we need to support them as well.
Many in the industry have proposed a variety of solutions that seem to address some of these needs. Virtualization, SANs, Cloud Computing & Hosting, SaaS, and other key technologies play into this but individually, miss the mark. So, what make sense, is deliverable, cost effective, and provides for all different location sizes. A Hybrid approach will do it.
What if you served all the computing needs from a central hosted location (two if you need the additional redundancy)? What if you provided for each location level based on need and viewed all IT pieces of functionality as services? What if the result was tremendous utilization of computing assets, higher service levels for lower TCO, and consistent delivery of what the business wants from IT? Can we really do that?!
The answer is a complete “YES”! Here’s the way we think it works and fulfills all those needs.
Think about this:
- Centralized computer services located in industrial strength and secure hosting locations
- Enterprise and Department Applications delivered via Virtual Application services and Published Applications
- All Enterprise and Departmental Applications run on centralized VMs and pushed to clients on demand
- Centralized SAN storage for all data
- Large company locations served with local SAN/NAS services replicated to the central location for backup and redundancy and remote access
- Mid-sized and Small company locations served with Virtual PCs and Published Desktops
- Remote staff, work-at-home staff, roaming staff, served with Published Desktops
- All work-group services (Exchange, disk storage, video conferencing, voice services, etc.) served as a hosted service on demand
What this Hybrid approach provides is a best-of-breed for all users at all locations and an extremely high utilization of computing assets. This dramatically increases the value that the IT function provides business with an increased cost effectiveness never seen before. Optimization of hardware, software, management and monitoring, staffing resources, and applications provided to staff when and where they need it without complicated implementations on the business side.
So what are the real advantages in business terms?
- High utilization of expensive computing and network assets
- Complete “Green IT” implementation associated with maximizing utilization and reduction in waste
- Reduction in capital expense requirements associated with IT
- Centralized management, maintenance, and application support and delivery
- Dramatic reduction in complicated updates for all systems
- Disaster Recovery built in for all office location no matter their size
- Predictable cost structure
- Flexibility in moving any locations, large or small
- Reduction in expensive telecommunication costs
- Dramatic increase in service levels to all locations and users
By changing our mindset and the paradigm in which we live, we can combine these very mainstream technologies and really deliver on what the business world has always wanted from IT: Consistent Service at Cost Effective Levels. Provide what the business wants and needs without all the extra expense and staff levels. Finally, have IT as a service utility that delivers like a utility: Consistent, Always Up, Predictable Costs, and Service when you need it.
This approach is what we’ve continued to embrace within our IVDesk service offering consistently delivering more then customers expect and leveraging our Fortune 500 infrastructure to really provide what customers want. Remarkable Service and Predictable Costs letting you get back to your business and out of the IT business. The new “Hybrid” is coming!
The Buzz Company delivers on customer service!
I just wanted to relay one of our customer stories that’s been another great IVDesk success. We had a company referred to us from a local Managed Services provider that was struggling to meet this client’s needs. The customer was separating from a parent company and would have 15 people doing Title work.
We met with the two owners and they had been presented with a proposal for local server equipment for the office and monthly management fees for servicing them. The estimate was about $21,000 up front and monthly fees on-going.
The Title company was just setting up their offices so were worried about capital expenditures and where their cash was going. They needed to upgrade the office environment, buy office and conference room furniture, find a phone solution, and then deal with this computer server bill. A lot of cash going out right away, before any revenue was going to come in…
So, how did IVDesk help them? We took complete responsibility for setting up their local users with computers (they choose refurbished ones), high-speed printers, an Internet connection, and then we setup and hosted all their applications within IVDesk. They needed to be up in a week and we delivered. They got setup in IVDesk right away, were able to get to all their applications from everywhere, and didn’t have a capital outlay at all. There was a small per user setup fee and then monthly fees for the IVDesk service.
Now, 6 years later, they continue to let us know they love IVDesk. They’ve opened offices in other cities, moved staff, grown and contracted, and always just paid the monthly IVDesk per user fee. We take care of everything for them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
One of the owners commented to us that choosing IVDesk was one of their best business decisions early on. They could just worry about growing their business and they new that all their technical needs were taken care of.
It’s a great time to call IVDesk!